Lan 1 recognises how vital it is to incorporate environmental stewardship in the conduct of business, including the efficient and sustainable use of natural and economic resources, which incorporates practices such as energy conservation and preservation of biodiversity. Lan 1 is committed to understanding the impact our organisation has on the environment and working to continually improve our environmental performance, while encouraging our suppliers and customers to do the same.
To this end, we seek to adhere to principles addressing the following areas, and to support these principles through specific initiatives. Our goal as an organisation is to address these key aspects of our environmental performance:
- Paper Procurement and Usage
- Printing and Packaging
- Recycling and Pollution Reduction in our Workplace
POSSIBLE INITIATIVES IN SUPPORT OF PRINCIPLE AREAS
1. DESIGN, PRODUCTION AND PRINTING IN OUR MAIL, MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION MATERIALS
We strive to design and print our advertisements and other communications in an environmentally responsible manner, and we communicate our environmental expectations to our supplier(s). Wherever feasible, in designing and printing communications, we look at opportunities for source reduction. We also communicate our goals to our suppliers. To this end:
A. We Reduce the Amount of Waste
- We review periodically direct mail and direct marketing packages and test downsized pieces when and where appropriate.
- We test and use lighter-weight papers wherever feasible.
- We adjust trim sizes of our publications and/or collateral in an effort to reduce waste.
- We test and use production methods that reduce print order overruns, waste allowances and in-process waste.
B. We Give Preference to Recyclable and/or Reusable Materials
- We seek to utilise recycled printing and writing paper with post-consumer content (when and where feasible).
- We ensure, where possible, that all packing and packaging materials are made of recyclable (collected locally throughout the country), recycled, reused or reusable materials.
2. USE OF PAPER IN PACKAGING
Lan 1 believes that sourcing environmentally preferred papers and other materials is only a beginning. Equally important is efficient use of papers and materials once they are purchased.
- We work continually to eliminate unnecessary packaging materials that do not protect merchandise or enhance its presentation before prospects and customers.
- In our fulfillment, we implement packaging guidelines that optimise the ratio between the size of outgoing shipments and the size of cartons used.
- In our fulfillment, we use reusable packaging that allows customers to return items in the same package used for shipping to ease the return process.
- We sort incoming packaging materials for recycling collection.
- We reuse incoming packaging materials for outgoing shipments where possible.
- We employ lighter-weight or efficient packing materials where possible to minimise volume/weight and reduce our environmental footprint.
- We encourage customers to participate in any existing national packaging/recycle program wherever possible.
3. RECYCLING AND POLLUTION REDUCTION IN OUR WORKPLACE
Lan 1’s policies and initiatives in this area are guided by the Three Rs: "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle." With this in mind, we seek an efficient and environmentally sensible workplace, as well as to promote environmental stewardship in our community. Toward this principle,
A. We Reduce & Reuse in the Workplace
- Where possible and practical, we purchase office papers, packing and packaging materials made from recycled materials with post-consumer content.
- We integrate the use of electronic communications (e-mail, Web and intranet) for external and internal communications.
- We use recycled paper with post-consumer content for internal company print communications.
- We make primary use of two-sided printing and photocopying where appropriate.
- We develop online systems for reports, projects and monitoring to reduce paper generation.
- We reuse file folders, hanging folders and binders where appropriate.
B. We Deploy Recycling in Our Workplace
- We investigate energy, water, material usage and waste management procedures, practices, and patterns and set internal goals to reduce, reuse and recycle, and establish programs to measure internal savings in waste, energy and costs.
- Corrugated cardboard
- Printing ink and toner cartridges
- Personal and laptop computers
Lan 1 is committed to continually improve our environmental performance. To this end, we endeavor to make responsible, sound business decisions and wherever feasible integrate environmental considerations into all aspects of our operations. We readily acknowledge that environmental stewardship is an ongoing challenge and a continual learning experience. We continue to research best practices and to explore the possibility of partnerships with other companies, environmental and conservation organisations, and local communities, all with the intent of further strengthening our environmental stewardship.